Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sunday River & Cannon!

After Saturdays hike, we still had 3 days left of our mini vacation! Usually we go away for a long weekend skiing, but this year we decided to spend a few days in North Conway. We thought it would be a good idea to try out a few different ski mtns that we usually don't get to. We always ski at Wildcat and I love it there, but after skiing the same trails over and over it gets old. So thankfully my job offers discounted ski tickets, and we were able to go to Sunday River for 66$ instead of 80$ and Cannon was two for 68$ tuesday :)

Sunday:
It was a beautiful day, sunny and no wind. We headed over to Jordan's Bowl and from there worked out way over to White Cap throughout the day. For such a beautiful day there were hardly any liftlines which was amazing! It was pretty slushy by the end of the day and very warm, around 65 degrees, but the conditions were so great, we skied until the lifts closed! Sunday River will still have snow for a while, but Cannon, where we went on Tuesday is a different story, I'll get to that in a bit!

Perfect Ski Day!

Sean and I with the Whites in the background!
Monday:
We went to breakfast (at noon!) at Stairway Cafe which is one of my favorite places in North Conway. I appreciate restaurants and places who take pride in serving organic/ natural foods and who are environmentally friendly. Restaurants have a lot of waste too and I like to see places composting and recycling! It makes me feel better about eating out, although I'm sure the calories are the same :)
That night I tried to cook a roast in the ancient 1970's crock pot that was up at the condo. It turned out a disaster haha it was burnt and completely dried out so we ended up eating out again. This time we went to a place we hadn't been too before called Margarita Grill. To my surprise, they are environmentally friendly too! Even the little salsa cups were compostable! More and more eco conscious places are popping up and I love it! After dinner, we went to Red Parka Pub for open mic night which was entertaining. Apparently thats where all the locals hang out mid-week! They must hide on the weekends because of all the tourists, which is completely understandable... I would too! 

Tuesday: 
We got up really early and packed everything into the car and drove the Kang. to Cannon for the day.  I had only been to Cannon once before a long time ago with my dad. Last time, I was able to see the Old Man of the Mountain... it now seems really bare without him. It was cold, cloudy and windy in the morning but that quickly changed to sunny skies and really warm weather! I even took off my neck warmer which is unheard of for me! The mountain itself was pretty bare too, they didn't have much snow at all which limited the amount of skiable trails. It was still a great day though, but probably the last of the ski season since the snow is melting so fast!

Lincoln and Lafayette in the background

Great ski day!


No comments:

Post a Comment